Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

My Garden in June
I have never had a green thumb. In fact, my husband has bought me a cactus before as a present, because he knew that I wouldn't water it. That's because he has witnessed me kill many plants before, may they rest in peace. Despite that miserable fact, this year I started to grow a garden. What was the inspiration? My husband brought home a poinsettia plant during the holidays. He knows I like how they look and maybe he thought, the plant is seasonal anyway and destined not to last. But I actually repotted it and kept it alive! Yes, it is still growing beautifully. I can't wait for the leaves to turn red again.
I come from a farming family, although you wouldn't have guessed it. Both sets of grandparents lived and worked on farms. They both had their own gardens, too. I remember my grandfather bringing in things from the garden so my grandmother could make them for lunch or dinner. My mother definitely has a green thumb. She can grow anything and has a solarium in her house full of beautiful plants.
This is the first time I have ever grown a garden and I am having so much fun! I figure if I can grow something, then I can always keep things around that are fresh and edible. I have begun my efforts with tomatoes, jalapenos, bell peppers, mint and basil. My cilantro died. But for my first year, I think it's going okay. When I saw my first budding tomato and jalapeno, a had an unbelievable sense of satisfaction! Now, I have several jalapenos, and bell peppers ripening, I have 3 tomatoes, but with the 100+ degree weather, I fear I may never taste my first tomato. We'll just have to wait and see.
I've also added several plants indoors. Did my thumb turn green? Is it in my genes? No, I believe the Lord gave all of us this ability.

"He causes the grass to grow for the cattle, And vegetation for the labor of man, So that he may bring forth food from the earth..." Psalm 104:14
My first jalapeno
This wasn't just my project. My husband helped design and build the above ground garden container. I wanted an above ground garden container mainly because I know my limits. I don't like bending over or kneeling and I don't like digging into the ground. I love it so much, I may just build another garden spot in another area of the yard next year. My sons love the garden too. We go out each day and water. They both have their own watering cans and outdoor watering shoes and they "help" mommy water. I actually think they get more water on themselves then on the plants. Then, if my husband is home, he joins in the fun. But mainly its a good excuse for all of us to be outside. So he gets the opportunity to play with the boys and swing them on the swing set and sing songs. It's a great time outdoors! I am very thankful for my garden. I have reaped benefits, even before reaping the produce. How does my garden grow? Not with silver bells and cockleshells, but with fun and love and family.
My first tomato
"Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, {and} fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. 12 The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good." Genesis 1:11-12

No comments:

Post a Comment