Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Address Book

Nowadays it is more common to have an address app rather than a traditional address book. It's about as uncommon as having a day-timer. (Those of you who know what a day-timer is, you know what I mean.) Although I have phased out my traditional desk calendar and now "write" everything down on my calendar app on my phone, I am still clinging on to my address book. Why?
Every year at this time, I pull it out and go through it, just to make sure I don't forget anyone as I am making my Hanukkah card list. I look through every page and I see all those names I have crossed out. Some have moved out of town and thus, right out of our lives. Some friends we have just grown out of touch. Others have divorced. Others have just moved so much and taken so much space so that letter in the alphabet runs into the next letter (I won't mention any names, but you know who you are). And others have died. 
I can't bring myself to throw this address book away. Some of the letters are overrun, as I said, and there are more marked out, than there active entries. But how can I just dismiss the people I knew? I know it makes more sense to get a new one and start over, but I just can't do it. I want to remember these people every time I look through it each year and make my card list. I want to remember our time together, how we laughed, how we spent our time together, and when we cried together. I want to feel the happiness that comes with remembering the friendship or relatives and the sadness that comes mourning their loss. I wouldn't trade one day with each of these people. My life has been enriched by each person that has crossed my path. Yes, some relationships may not have been pleasant all the time, but I still grew personally.
So, I'll keep my address book with all the crossed out people in it and be thankful that I have known so many different people in my life. For my part, I'll try to be a better person to others, so I can leave happy memories in the people I encounter. 
Happy Hanukkah everyone! I hope you make many new wonderful memories and relish in the old ones, too. May the light of Yeshua our Messiah shine on you and your family, wherever you are! 
At that time the Feast of the Dedication took place at Jerusalem ; it was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the portico of Solomon. The Jews then gathered around Him, and were saying to Him, "How long will You keep us in suspense ? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly." Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe ; the works that I do in My Father's name, these testify of Me. "But you do not believe because you are not of My sheep. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish ; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all ; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. "I and the Father are one." - John 10:22-30

No comments:

Post a Comment